I am a painter and digital artist.
I was born in Berlin, Germany and when I was twelve, moved with my parents to Liberia, West Africa. After that I lived in Suriname, (South America), North America, Liberia again and finally England, over 25 years ago.
Many things inspire me –memories of houses and countries I’ve lived in, old photographs, nostalgic childhood pictures, the beauty I see around me, loss and sadness – in short, life.
My paintings and digital images also reflect my interest in colour, layers, texture and mark making. Colour is very important to me because it can so well describe a particular emotion.
My artwork is quite varied and often jumps between the abstract and the figurative - I like working in this way as I find it very liberating. In my digital art I fuse parts of my paintings and photographs and through juxtaposition create new and different meanings.
This process often has unexpected results and produces images which are new and exciting. For me, this process of exploring, experimenting and improvising is as satisfying as the end result.
Selected recent exhibitions
- April 2015 - Saatchi Gallery London, Slideshow of Images on a big screen, 2nd floor
- June 2015 - Ayot St. Lawrence Art Show
- June 2015 - The Nude Tin Can Gallery “Forget me Not”
- June – July 2015 - Menier Gallery, London 82nd Annual Exhibition, National Society
- June 2015 - The Nude Tin Can Gallery “ Horizon Exhibition”
- July 2015 - St. Albans Art Society Summer Exhibition
- August – Sept 2015 - The Nude Tin Can Gallery “Geometric”
- September 2015 - Open Studio 2015 at The Nude Tin Can Gallery
- December 2015 - The Nude Tin Can Gallery, Christmas Exhibition
- April 2016 - Courtyard Open Exhibition, Hertford
- April 2016 - Leyden Gallery, London “Art without Borders”
- July 2016 - Platform Open Arts, at Morphets of Harrogate
- July 2016 - Menier Gallery London, 83rd Annual Exhibition, National Society
- September 2016 - New Artist Fair, The Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London
- Nov - Dec 2016 - St. Stephen Walbrook Church, National Society, City of London
Awards and Prizes
- Annual Summer Show, Courtyard Gallery, Hertford - Won 2nd prize (May 2008)
- Hertfordshire Open Exhibition - Won the St. Albans Prize – 1st prize in that category (Dec 2011), Awarded by St. Albans District Council
- 1994 – 1998: Extra Mural Courses in Life Drawing, Ceramics & Textile Design at the University of Hertfordshire
- 1999 – 2000: Full time Access Course in Art & Design, University of Hertfordshire
- 2000 – 2003: BA Fine Art Degree Course, University of Hertfordshire
- May 2014: “Form & Abstraction”, St. Ives School of Painting, Cornwall
- 2015 – to present: Life Drawing classes at The St. Albans Art Society
- Elected Associate Member, National Society of Painters, Sculptors & Printmakers(AMNS)
- Herts Visual Arts
- St. Albans Art Society